The Czech School offers supplementary education in Czech for Czech-speaking school-age children living in the UK. The school follows the Czech National Curriculum. Most of our children are from bilingual families with one parent being a native Czech speaker. The children attend their English schools throughout the week and come to us on Saturday to learn, share and have fun together in an environment which is exclusively Czech. We work with textbooks used in Czech classrooms (Nová škola publishing house) and follow the Framework Educational Programme (RVP) for Elementary Education.
Who is it for?
Our school is for bilingual children who speak Czech and English. Regrettably, we are unable to accept children whose Czech falls considerably below the expected standard for their age group. Currently the school offers the 0, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th year of Czech primary school, with teachers guiding the children in reading, writing and counting in Czech. To enter the first year of school, the children need to have completed the British Reception class and pass our enrollment test.
- Improve the fluency and confidence of the children in Czech
- Teach children reading and writing and develop their speaking and listening skills
- Familiarise the children with the wider use of the Czech language
- Support parents in preparation for voluntary examinations (rozdílové zkoušky)
- Make children aware of Czech culture and customs
The first issue of childrens newspaper [PDF].
Czech School - 0.-8. třída/ reception class, year 1-8
St Mary Magdalene Academy, Liverpool Road, London N7 8PG
See photos in our Archive 2014 >>
Dates and Times
The school takes place on Saturday mornings from 10.30 am till 2 pm, with the school dates following the British school terms.
1. half-term 10.09. - 15.10.
2. half-term 05.11. - 17.12.
3. half-term 07.01. - 11.02.
4. half-term 25.02. - 01.04.
5. half-term 22.04. - 20.05.
6. half-term 10.06. - 15.07.
0. ročník (reception class): Lenka Hábová
1. třída (year 1): Štěpánka Bulířová
2. třída (year 2): Adéla Herbsová
3. třída (year 3): Kamila Sekaninová
4. třída (year 4): Hana Pospíšilová
5. třída (year 5): Martina Pánová
6. třída (year 6): Markéta Grigelová
7.-8. třída (year 7-8) Ivona Klemensová
Teaching Assistants: Veronika Kadlecová, Veronika Skřenková
Volunteers: Tereza Pešičková, Alice Kovaříková, Jana Skulová
Children will be also working with a Speech Therapist Jana Martykánová.
All children should be in class by 10.30 am to allow for a timely start to our lessons. Any latecomers arriving after 10.40 am should wait until the next available break so as not to disturb the lesson. Children should bring with them a packed lunch and drink as food and drinks are not provided.
Textbooks and exercise books will be supplied by the school upon successful enrollment and children need to bring these to each class together with pen and pencils. Parents are expected to ensure that their children complete any homework given.